Open Monday – Friday
The Idea Lab is a creative space to go through hosted brainstorming exercises, sketch out ideas on the walls and tables and use the idea-generating technology provided for quick prototyping.
General Rules and Procedures
- Please swipe your card to sign in upon entering the Idea Lab.
- Food and drink are NOT allowed without administration approval.
- Please clean up after yourself.
- Do not take the furniture.
- Whiteboards and markers are available for student use. Please do not write on the furniture.
- Capacity: 50 people
Dr. Hoekstra’s Rules for Creativity
- Have a clear and open-ended problem definition.
- Do not propose a solution in the process of defining the problem. The reason is that you create the elephant in the room once someone suggests a possible solution, everybody focuses on that solution and can’t get away from it.
- Go to your happy place and create as many ideas as you can think of.
- Come back to the Idea Lab, put them up on the wall with your team, and start combining, categorizing and building the idea.
Cost: There is no cost to use the Idea Lab space.
Dr. Robert Hoekstra, Associate Professor, Industrial Engineering & Managment Systems, Idea Lab Director
Room: Engr. II 434
Phone: (407) 823-6175
In The News
Popular Science Jan. 11, 2023Saltwater is a lithium-ion battery’s worst enemy. This aqueous prototype embraces it.
Assoc. Prof. Yang Yang featured
FOX 35 Nov, 16, 2022UCF researchers could develop the cure for hydrogen leak that grounded Artemis 1
Assoc. Prof. Jan Gou featured
Orlando Sentinel Oct. 8, 2022What Florida learned from Hurricane Ian
Prof. Thomas Wahl featured
Science Magazine Sept. 22, 2022AI-based screening method could boost speed of new drug discovery
Asst. Prof. Ozlem Garibay featured
News 6 WKMG Aug. 7, 2022In this Florida city, when drivers go the wrong way, most don’t crash. Here’s why.
Prof. Haitham al-Deek featured
- Read More